Monday, April 16, 2007


This morning, a gunman opened fire in an academic building at Virginia Tech, my Alma Mater, and until recently, my home. I am shocked, stunned, angered, and yet thankful that nobody I know is reported to have been killed. However, I am saddened that 32 people are dead today, for no other reason than they were in a certain classroom today. Moreover, I am saddened that today's survivors are scarred forever, traumatized in a place as peaceful as Blacksburg, Virginia.

I am hopeful that we as a university, as a state, and as a society will not react out of fear, but out of understanding, that sometimes bad things happen, and sometimes we have little control of when or where. Hug your kids, and stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats so sad. But they are up to 33 dead not 32.

Thezpn said...

33 including the shooter himself. I edited him out as many of my friends would rather not mourn his death. However, yes, it was a life.

Anonymous said...

as we discussed earlier bud it's truly horrendous i'm glad non of the ammegosites were directly caught up in it... thoughts go out to all those who were affected.

Krit

Easy said...

So sad to hear of this news. Our condolences from Down Under. Our thoughts are with those who are suffering on the other side of the world - but still part of our community.